- Click on the link above to visit the VEA website
- Click here to become a VEA cyberlobbyist!
- Stay informed, via daily blogs, during the General Assembly by clicking here
The Virginia Education Association is the ADVOCATE for the public schools our children depend upon. VEA is the ADVOCATE for the teachers and school support professionals who make our public schools great for every child.
Our local Associations in EVERY school division in the state make up a powerful network to support the working conditions, salaries, and benfits for school employees, and to support learning conditions for our students. The VEA stands alone as the only ADVOCACY organization in Virginia with local, state, and national support for our public schools and the people who make them work.
It is the teachers and school support professionals who join, govern, and work through our association who make the VEA successful. The children in Virginia's public schools need every teacher and every school support professional to join the cause.
What has the VEA done for you lately? Click here to download a more detailed report
- We defeated legislation that would have allowed experienced teachers to be fired without reason and without due process at the end of their three-year term contract.
- We defeated the governor's attempt to impose burdensome new paperwork requirements on elementary teachers (2012).
- We helped to reserve state cuts in funding and secured a $330 million increase for our schools (2012).
- We won guaranteed planning time for elementary teachers (2009) and saved planning time for secondary teachers (2010).
- We won grievance procedure rights for education support professionals (2009).
- We won increased health care credits for school retiree (2007).
10 Ways your association helps improve your practice
- VEA Mini-Grants - Provide members up to $500 for innovative classroom projects
- NEA Foundation - Provides $2,000-$5,000 Learning & Leadership grants to individual members or groups
- NEA Student Achievement Grants - Grants of $5,000 to improve academic achievement are available to teachers and ESPs.
- VEA Workshops - Enhance your professional career and provide strategies for working with your students on a wide array of instructional topics
- NEA Lesson Plans - Database provides access to more than 350 free interdisciplinary lesson plans
- Works4Me - Allows you to browse more than 1,500 practical classroom tips written by teachers and for teachers
- NEW Academy - Members may earn graduate credits and license renewal points through practical online courses
- PBS Teacherline - Discounts online professional development for more than 100 courses.
- Promoting Excellence - VEA presents annual awards for teaching excellent, outstanding education support, professional practice, positive hum relationships, and leadership in the field of education
- Professional Advocacy - VEA advocates for you with the Virginia Board of Education and Department of Education on curriculum standards and certification